Ontario Food Cluster success profiles
In Ontario the agri-food and beverage sector is the number one employer. Many major domestic and multi-national manufacturers locate in Canada, all with a presence in Ontario:
ADM, McCain Foods, Labatt Breweries of Canada, George Weston Ltd., Saputo, Kellogg Canada, General Mills Canada, Sleeman Breweries, Parmalat Canada, Heinz Kraft, McCormick Canada, Cargill Canada, Diageo Canada Inc. and these:
Planet Shrimp – County of Elgin. They will operate the largest indoor Pacific white shrimp farm in Canada. The indoor farm will be housed in a 225,000 square foot state-of-the-art bio secure facility in the Town of Aylmer. The site of the former Imperial Tobacco plant, the facility has seen significant private investment and was the recipient of a $237,000 provincial investment. The farm will supply millions of naturally raised, organic, sustainable shrimp annually to customers. The shrimp will be fresh, never frozen, and arrive at tables within hours of harvest. www.planetshrimp.com
WeedMD.com – County of Elgin. WeedMD.com has launched a new plant in Aylmer, Ontario to produce affordable, high quality medical marijuana that exceeds stringent new Health Canada regulations. The Toronto based company will develop a facility in south west Ontario that will also create many local jobs. The location of the medical marijuana facility is on the site of a large former Imperial Tobacco factory in the Town of Aylmer. WeedMD.com has secured a pre-approval license to produce 2,500kg of medical marijuana per year from Health Canada. www.weedmd.com
Fire Roasted Coffee – London. Opened a new 28,000 square foot Agri-Food Incubator on Dundas Street in London for small-batch production of locally sourced food products by various small and start-up food manufacturers. Read more.
Toboggan Brewing Company – London. Opened a new craft brewery in downtown London, employing 10 staff. Read more.
Bosco & Roxy’s – London. Expanded into a new 30,000 square foot facility for the production of dog treats. With the expansion, the company now employs more than 100 staff in London. Read more.
McCormick Canada – London. Received a grant of $354,240 from the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund to retain 435 jobs and add 27 new positions. Read more.
Innerseasonings International Inc – Windsor-Essex. A local company spawned from Windsor’s famous Tunnel BBQ restaurant that produces spices and sauces is expanding into the Middle East. They are currently in the process of getting their sauces and spices labelled in Arabic and certified halal and kosher to increase appeal, where they will be used on beef, lamb and chicken but not pork. Read more.
Highbury Canco – Windsor-Essex. In the 18 months since Highbury Canco engineered a rescue plan for Leamington’s biggest employer after Heinz’s shocking exit announcement, the company has gone from an initial 250 full-time employees (down from more than 700 when it was owned by Pittsburgh food giant Heinz) to 325 last fall and now to more than 400. Read more.
Strathroy Brewing Company – Middlesex County. The craft brewing industry continues to expand in Western Ontario as the Strathroy Brewing Company continues to build momentum in the municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc located in Middlesex County. The microbrewery installed 7 fermentation tanks and a new brew house at its facility located on the site of Strathroy’s old flour mill. The company has developed several pale ale recipes including its flagship 1812 brand and a new gluten-free brew. www.strathroybrewingcompany.ca
Ontario's agri-food sector successes include strategic R&D initiatives
The Canadian Government and the Government of Ontario are both active players in the province’s innovation economy, and agri-food is no exception.
On April 1, 2013, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada's new federal-provincial-territorial initiative representing a $3 billion investment, known as Growing Forward 2: 2013-2018, came into effect to enhance innovation, competitiveness and market development in provincial agriculture, agri-food, fish and seafood sectors.
The province of Ontario supports its world-class education system, highly skilled workforce, creative environment and diverse culture. For the Ontario Food Cluster, that means government support for:
- Conestoga College:Institute of Food Processing Technology (IFPT), in Waterloo Region, in partnership with Food and Beverage Ontario, is Ontario's first and only engineering and technology centre focused on providing leading edge training in the state-of-the-art food and beverage manufacturing facilities with the latest technology in robotics and automation
- University of Guelph: School of Hospitality, Food and Tourism Management, Centre for Nutrition Modeling, Aquaculture Centre, Centre for the Genetic Improvement of Livestock (CGIL), Canadian Research Institute for Food Safety (CRIFS), Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, Human Nutraceutical Research Unit (HNRU)
- NSF-GFTC in Guelph, Ontario: Each year, NSF-GFTC experts audit and consult with over 1500 businesses in the food and beverage industry and train more than 3000 professionals in 26 countries.
- Ridgetown, Ontario, campus of U of G: Agriculture Program
- Western University in London, Ontario: Food and Nutrition Sciences
- Lambton College in Sarnia, Ontario: Culinary Management and Chemical Production & Power Engineering Technology
- Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre in Harrow, Essex County, Ontario: the largest greenhouse research complex facility in North America
- Wilfred Laurier University, Brantford, Ontario: Health Studies
- University of Toronto:Department of Nutritional Sciences, Bachelors of Nutrition, Bachelor Environmental Management, Bachelor of Ecology
- McMaster University:Children’s Exercise and Nutrition Centre, Children’s Health and Exercise Program
- Ryerson University: Centre for Studies in Food Security (CSFS), Certificate in Food Security, Bachelor of Nutrition and Food, Bachelor of Hospitality and Tourism Management,
- St. Michael’s Hospital (Toronto): Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Centre
- Three Research Chairs in Food Science & Technology at the National Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Canada
- Fanshawe College (London campus): Bachelor of Applied Technology – Biotechnology
- George Brown College:Hospitality and Culinary Arts Program, Advanced French Patisserie (Postgraduate) Program, Advanced Wine and Beverage Business Management Program (Postgraduate), Baker / Patissier Apprentice Program, Baking and Pastry Arts Management Program,Bachelor of Business Administration (Hospitality), Culinary Management Program
- Niagara College:Canadian Food and Wine Institute
- Durham College:Centre for Food, Diploma in Horticulture, Diploma in Culinary Management, Diploma in Pharmaceutical and Food Science Technologies
- York University:Faculty of Science and engineering: Biotechnology, Faculty of Science and Engineering: Environmental Science
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology:Faculty of Health Sciences,Applied Engineering: Bioscience
- Brock University: Oneology and Viticulture Program
- Seneca College:Food Manufacturing Diploma,Industrial Food Technology Program, Food Service Worker Program, Food Nutrition and Hospitality Management
- Humber College: Food and Beverage Service Program,Foods and Nutrition Management,